The Crazy Tubing Party in Vang Vieng
The legend of Vang Vieng tubing
A few years ago a bunch of crazy backpackers (let’s be real they were mainly all Australian), gave this event the name, “The Craziest Party in Asia”. It was so crazy that over 10 people died !! Not funny! Drugs were anywhere and everywhere and drinking games weren’t games but “sit in a circle and down vodka, the last one to not pass out wins”. But thankfully the Laos government finally stepped in and shut this ridiculous place down.
Or did they?
The rumors are true – the party is back! But not the deathly version from 2012. The 20 bars set up along the river have now been seriously reduced. Most of the bars are still in business but now they rotate, so that no more than 2-3 bars are open per day. The games have also reverted back to good old beer pong and the bar managers are slightly more responsible. But has this helped? We went to go see for ourselves ..
Watch our Tubing Bar Hopping experience here:
Tubing Party Tips
- Hire the white or yellow tubes (locally owned) and not the new red tubes (private).
- Have a pre-drink for the start – the drinks range between 20 000 & 25 000 Kip at the bars.
- Wear boat shoes – slops will float away and barefoot dancing on broken glass isn’t ideal.
- Leave town between 11:30 and 1pm – that’s when the bars will have the best vibe.
- Clothes will get wet – just FYI. Pack a dry bag for phones and wallets etc.
- Do not walk from the tubing station back to your hostel/hotel in just your swimwear – respect where you are and the culture you have chosen to visit:
- If you’re planning to drink in the tube – DO NOT be a doosh and throw your empty cup in the river!
- Go do it once with no bar stops and drinking – the tube ride on the Nam Song River is glorious!!!
- Go to Sakura Bar and ask the barmen which day to go – they know which bars are open on which days so they will be able to recommend the best party!
Looking for accommodation in Vang Vieng, click on the below link for the best deals:
Visit our LAOS Page for more posts on what to do and where to go!!